LIFE ISN'T ABOUT FINDING YOURSELF. LIFE IS ABOUT CREATING YOURSELF.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Maid of Honor Toast

What does a great Maid of Honor toast sound like?  We've all witnessed really great ones and some not-so great toast that kind of leave us cringing.  I have had the honor of giving one several years ago when my best friend from high school, Ellen got married.  I was the emotional Maid of Honor for that one and did too much crying!  I have the pleasure of writing another one for my bestie from college, Brittni.  This time around I want to find the right balance of funny, sweet, truthful, a little reminiscing, love and congratulations to leave everyone with a smile on their face and love filling their hearts.

Perhaps, I should take a few notes from my big sister.  My one and only sister, Shannon, was my Maid of Honor last fall and provided probably the greatest toast of all time!  I am fairly bias since it was for me and she is my sister but I think Shannon really nail it on the head.  She had the perfect balance of key ingredients that made her toast memorable & touching.  For those of you that were there, I'm sure you might remember some of it.  For you other readers that didn't have the privilege to hear it, I have taken the liberty to share it!  I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did and still do.  Thank you to my sister for being such an amazing sibling and best friend!

Hello, I’m Shannon…I’m Britt’s only sister and oldest sibling; #1 of 5, as I like to remind them all.  Next in line is our brother Justin.  Now, starting off a family with a boy & a girl was nice BUT Mom & Dad, being smart, young farmers knew that two kids wouldn’t be enough extra hands on a busy farm.  So 2 yrs later came along brother Michael; #3.  Nice; Dad got another boy to help out with chores!  But Mom thought that another girl would be the perfect balance to our family & I really wanted a sister.  So then along came sibling # 4…Brother Jason…another boy!  Now that was going to be it BUT being the good Catholic Farmers that our parents were, it wasn’t long & Mom was pregnant with baby # 5!  I can remember thinking…Oh Please God, let this one be a GIRL!?!  And finally after waiting 9 yrs & 1 day…I got my wish for a baby sister!  And so every year, we get to celebrate our birthdays together, which has been pretty cool!

            Now you might think that being the baby of the family, Britt got off easy!?  Not true; we all had our own chores to do & Britt worked just as hard, if not harder than some of the boys.  Ha, I can remember you dragging hay bales & feed pales around that weighed more than you did.  You have taken that incredible work ethic & ‘Can Do’ attitude and applied it to everything you do so your list of accomplishments is a lengthy one! 

I’m sure many of you know that Britt was an incredible track athlete thru high school & college.  Brant – I hope you checked that she didn’t have her running shoes on today? During collage, Britt specialized in the Heptathlon, which is a combination of 7 events from hurdles, high jump, long jump, short & long distances, javelin and shot put.  Um, Britt how tall are you?  5’2”…   Kind of hard to believe that such a petite little thing could be one of the 7 members of the UWRF women’s track team that brought home the NCAA Div 3 Track championship title, huh!?  That’s because in whatever Britt does, it comes from in her heart.  She pours her heart & soul into it…Just like she’s done in this relationship.

            Britt - as the years passed, you have truly grown into the sister that I had prayed for and dreamed of having.  I am SO Proud of you and so honored to stand up here today and welcome Brant into our family….even though I told him NO at least 100 times when he first asked if he could date my sister.  Brant you are just an all around great guy, always full of laughter, telling funny stories or causing them.  You are a kind & incredibly generous person.  You are a great friend to many people & perhaps most importantly, have become a wonderful daddy to Cruz.  So now you get to be my sister’s husband & that 4th brother I once feared getting.  I love you both very much!  Best wishes for a long, happy & loving future together!  
           
Everyone - please raise your glasses with me.  Congratulations Brant & Brittany!!
         

xoxo
bj

No comments:

Post a Comment