LIFE ISN'T ABOUT FINDING YOURSELF. LIFE IS ABOUT CREATING YOURSELF.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Remarkable Moment

Have you ever had an experience in your life that was so incredibly remarkable that it still sends chills down your spine and puts goose bumps across every square inch of your body?  I certainly do!  This was a moment in my life that took years and years of dedication, hard work and determination.

I was 6 years old when I ran my first competitive road race.  You could say I was hooked after that.  I continued to run competitively through middle school & high school and accomplished numerous school records, championships, sectional titles and state accolades. 

I went on to attend UW-River Falls in the fall of 2004 after I graduated.  I started training as a collegiate track & field athlete in October.  I spent four great years with the UWRF Women's Track & Field team training.  We'd get up at 5:30am and get ourselves to the weight room by 6 to get our lift in.  After that we would attend our necessary classes and then convene again about 2:30 - 3 pm at the indoor track for practice.  Practice would span a couple of hours and we'd finally finish and top it off with an ice bath around 6 pm.  This was our lives from late October to late May...six days a week.  I continued with this rigorous routine from 2004 to 2008.  I had my fair share of school records, champion titles, national qualifying marks and personal records in those four years.  I made a trip to the DIII national meet in 2006.  I finished 12th in the nation for the 400 hurdles.  I was ranked 7th in the nation but like most "first timers", I totally choked and just didn't bring my A-game that day.  Regardless, that was a pretty amazing accomplishment.

My finest moment in Track & Field came in May of 2008.  This was the month that I added National Champion to the top of my list of athletic accomplishments.  This was the cherry on top of my sundae!  It is amazing how you can go from one complete opposite to another in the course of just one month.  The second week of May I found out my boyfriend of four years had been cheating on me with numerous women for over half of our relationship.  I was devastated.  I hit rock bottom.  The day I found out was the day I had my "last chance" meet to better my score in the heptathlon.  I was sitting 17th in the nation and needed to do better to insure a spot for me at nationals.  The last thing I wanted to do was compete in a two day event that entails seven events!  I wanted to crawl into a hole and cry; not run track.  Despite the inner turmoil I was experiencing, I had to pull myself together and compete.  I used the anger I felt and poured it into my events.  I ended up with a better score and made the national list of competitors for the heptathlon.

Nationals' weekend came in the end of May.  I was still an emotional wreck.  I was trying to salvage my life.  Any of you that have been in a long term relationship and had that significant other cheat on you know how I felt.  It was an awful time in my life.  Even though this was all going on in my personal life, I needed to step up and compete for my team.  I started the heptathlon out on a bad note.  The first event is the 100 hurdles and I did something I rarely did...I tripped on the 3rd to last hurdle!  I was flying down the straight away and was putting a great time on the clock and then, BOOM!  I cracked my knee on the 8th hurdle and stumbled.  I did finish but with a poor time.  Poor time = low points which is not good in the hep.  I split my knee open and had to have it doctored up before high jump. I went onto the high jump and did average.  I then went onto the shot put and finished average again.  The last event on day one for the hep is the 200 meter dash.  I knew I needed to pull out a fast time if I wanted any chance of being an all-american.  Again, I finished fairly average.  I was not looking forward to day two of the hep.  I tried to think positively.  I did the long jump, javelin throw & 800 meter run.  After all seven events were completed and scores tallied, I found out my final standing.  I was 12th in the nation.  Just shy of all-american status...bummer.  Although, a fairly great accomplishment. 

Little did I know that I would be on the podium with my teammates the next day.  After all the women finished their respective events on the last day we ended up scoring enough points to win the National title!  I was floored!  I called my parents and left a voice message screaming & crying.  I am pretty certain I scared the crap out of them and they thought something was wrong.  I called my sister next and she answered her phone.  I screamed and cried to her and I think she shed a couple tears for me too.  After all the years of sweat, blood and pain I had added the trump of National Champion to my list.  I was filled with so much happiness, joy and pride.  I was so proud of my teammates.  Seven of us women that qualified for nationals and competed were able to provide our school with a national title. 

Anytime I look at the pictures from May 2008, I get chills.  I smile from ear to ear.  That was an incredible moment in my life.  It happened at just the right time to give me something to be completely happy and excited about.  I learned how tough of a woman I can be that month.  God gave me a test of character and I proved to myself that I could carry on.  Although I didn't win an individual national title, it is still a national title in the end!

Love you Lady Falcons: Becky, Vicki, Krista, Shannon, Kim & Becca!
xoxo
bj


No comments:

Post a Comment